Saturday, July 13, 2013

Summer Race Preparations!

by Adriana
So I decided to sign up for the Color Vibe 5k with some friends this coming September and of course I am nervous! I've never done distance running so it will be a bit of a challenge. I do go to the gym 4-5 days a week for 2 hours at a time and do good amounts of both cardio and weights, but I know it's going to take a little more hard work to get my body to actually run longer than it's used to. So right now I am making initial plans on how I will train myself to be ready for this race. I've already assured myself that my goal in this is not to be the fastest runner in the race or even try to be. My past cardiovascular medical history will definitely prevent me from doing that, but my main goal is to maintain a good running pace throughout the race with very little to no walking in between. 
Preview of the Couch-to-5k running program

Counting today, I have about 10 weeks to train for this and I believe that is a sufficient amount of time. I decided to follow the Couch-to-5k running program with some gym time and rest days in-between to get me started. What I like about Couch-to-5k is that it does not look as intimidating as other running programs I've read about. It allows you to gradually build up your distance with a brisk walk/jog combination until you can run the whole 3 miles. I am excited to see how I do and see if this program really works.
I also ordered a new Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor to help me not only keep track of my heart rate but also calories burned. I was intrigued to buy one of those fancier watches like the Garmin Forerunner 910XT that Marion reviewed but since this is my first race and I'm not sure if I'll be doing more races like he does, I decided to refrain for now. Haha. So I am very excited to try this one out and let you all know how it works for me.
I will be the first to admit that I have been slacking on my healthy eating the past month due to school stress and such! So for these next ten weeks I will be following the Eat to Live book pretty closely but adding a little extra carbs to support the extra running I will be doing. What makes me excited about the ETL program is that it totally reduces/eliminates the swelling and inflammation that your body suffers with from eating meat products and foods with high salts and sugars. An added plus is that you drop a good amount of unhealthy weight along the way.
When you follow the Eat to Live program you will be intaking a TON of vegetables and fruits. The problem that I have when I buy lots of fruits and veggies is that they go bad too fast before I can eat all of them. I hate going to the grocery store on a daily basis so I was looking for something that can make them last a lot longer- especially the Costco packs of lettuce and spinach that I get. I came across these bluapple ethylene gas absorbers and ordered a pack to see if they work. Let's cross our fingers!
Now the next two products are a little selfish on my part. I do want to look good when I run and one thing about me is that I NEVER wear shorts. I can wear skirts and dresses because of tights and pantyhose but you will never see me in shorts with bare legs. I've hated my legs ever since I was a teen, they were very shapely and when a stupid boy in junior high told me I had "super white thunder thighs" it completely wrecked my confidence and I just stopped wearing shorts. I have noticed with my weekly gym routine, my legs are starting to slim slowly but I still have a problem with cellulite areas. Though I know there is no real fix for cellulite, I know there are products out there that can help improve the look of it. So I decided to test out the finulite night and day lotions and see what they do! Check back to see the results!
The other selfish purchase that I ordered was the FakeBake 60 minute self tanner kit. I have notoriously white legs due to not exposing my legs to sunlight. I've tried tanning them on my deck in private and they never seem to tan at all! So to help my white legs out I purchased FakeBake. What I like about fake tanners is that you don't have to risk getting skin cancer by going out in the sun for hours to purposely tan but the cons of self tanners are that they sometimes don't look that natural. But this one got really good reviews so I have to try it for myself. :)
I almost wanted to purchase a pair of Nike Free Runs just to try them out and see if they will help in my journey but knowing that this 5k is the Color Vibe, I would hate to have all that color ruin a beautiful pair of expensive running shoes! So I think I will settle with my good old Adidas running shoes that still have some mileage left on them. 
I will do a repost after I get all my ordered items in and let you all know about my progress! Take care and stay moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment